- Respiratory Tract Infections: Cough can be a symptom of respiratory tract infections such as cough or pneumonia.
- Allergies: Some horses can be allergic to dust, mold or other environmental factors that cause respiratory irritation.
- Environmental Factors: Coughing can also be triggered by environmental factors such as dust, smoke or strong odors.
- Heart problems: Coughing can also be an indication of heart problems such as heart failure.
- Feeding-related problems: Coughs can also be triggered by feeding-related problems such as food allergies or congestion in the throat.
When a horse coughs, it can be an indication of various diseases or problems. Here are some possible causes of cough in horses:
If your horse is coughing, you should take him to a veterinarian to determine the cause of the cough and initiate appropriate treatment. The vet can conduct a thorough exam to identify the cause and then provide you with treatment and prevention recommendations.